Conditions of Hire and Care Instructions
Conditions of Hire
(a) The Hirer is Monument Store Limited, 8 Blackstock Mews, London, England, N4 2BT.
(b) The Hiree is the person or business named on the purchase order or rental agreement. If the business address for communication and service of the Hiree is not in the United Kingdom, then the Agent named on same shall be jointly and severally liable with the Hiree to Monument Store for all terms and conditions of hire and the address for communication and service for the Hiree shall be that of the Agent.
All transactions with Monument Store are to be on the Hiree’s order form quoting items and hire charge as agreed for a period on a weekly basis. All items to be covered by official order showing registered business address and VAT No.
If the item is for sale (and not listed as hire only,) the hire fee is 20% of the item’s sales value per week. Fee for hire-only products available upon request.
The Hiree cannot extend the hire period without prior agreement in writing with Monument Store.
Payment is due for all services at time of hire (or in case of extension at the time of notice). In providing card payment details, the hiree authorises the use of these against any sums that become owing to us in regards to extended hire, loss or damage.
The Hiree agrees that during the hire period the items shall be kept in good repair and condition. Items that are not returned, or returned damaged or altered, will be charged at insurance risk value as detailed on hire. It is the responsibility of the Hiree to insure with reputable insurers. The insurance must cover the risk values against loss or damage from time of collection until return. A certificate of insurance must be produced on demand.
The Hiree must report any discrepancies within 24 hours from collection.
Collection and return of goods is by the Hiree, unless pre-arranged to the contrary where this service will be charged as an extra to be agreed in writing between the parties.
No alterations shall be made to any items hired. Labels identifying items as the property of Monument Store shall not be removed. The location of items at all times shall be confirmed to Monument Store on demand. No items hired shall be used for any purpose other than that for which such items are hired and shall not be lent or sub-hired to any third party.
The Hiree shall indemnify Monument Store against all claims, expenses and legal costs in respect of damage, injury or loss arising directly or indirectly from the use or condition of items. No warranty of fitness for purpose is given by Monument Store. The Hiree is respectfully reminded of copyright legislation and for them to ensure that any necessary clearances, permissions or releases have been properly obtained before using any item. Monument Store shall not be liable for any complaint or claim for infringement of any copyright or other rights. All electrical items should be fitted by a qualified electrician. Upholstery is not checked for compliance with current fire regulations.
In certain circumstances Monument Store may request a surety on behalf of the Hiree. The essential terms of the surety shall be to guarantee to Monument Store the due performance by the Hiree of all the hire terms and conditions. Notwithstanding any other terms or dispensation agreed with or granted to the Hiree, the surety shall at all times be liable for the performance of all terms of the agreement, including but not limited to payment for loss or damage of any items.
Packing cases and moving blankets which are supplied free of charge for the hire period shall be charged to the hirer if not returned.
A cancellation fee of 50% of hire cost will be made for confirmed orders cancelled within 24 hours before collection.
All parties agree that English law shall apply and that they shall submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
Please handle every item with the utmost care and follow our care instructions below:
- Art - Fixings should not be removed or altered. Glass and pictures must not be removed from the frame to avoid a reframing charge. Large art should be handled by two people.
- Glass - Furniture with glass surfaces will be packed separately. Please handle with care and do not place any heavy objects on or against the glass.
- Lacquer - Is sent in heavy duty bubble wrap to protect its gloss finish. Please take extra care to protect the edges and surfaces at all times. We advise that lacquer should be kept protected until it has been placed in position.
- Lampshades - Should be returned boxed as received and not stacked inside one another.
- Lightbulbs - Will not be sent with lamps unless specified in the item description.
- Mirrors - Some wall mirrors cannot be hung and must be leant against a stable surface only. This will be highlighted in the item description.
Rugs & Upholstery - Should be protected from heavy items and track to avoid lasting damage to the pile of the fabric. Any damage or dirt which is beyond domestic use will incur a professional cleaning charge. Please identify the nature of the stain when you return the item.
Please do NOT attempt to remove any marks as this is likely to increase your cleaning charge. Our professional cleaner will have more chance of success if no other chemicals have been introduced to the fabric.
- Velvet & Leather - These mark very easily. No heavy or sharp items should be rested on or against the fabric. Do not label item surfaces directly with adhesive tape.
- Wood & Painted Surfaces - Avoid direct contact with water and hot items. Do not label item surfaces directly with adhesive tape.
Safely moving items
- All items should be lifted and not dragged. Heavy items will require two or more people.
- Lamps should always be carried by the base and the pole.
- Upholstered items which can be easily marked (e.g. velvet and leather) should be carried by the base only.
- Furniture must not be dismantled without prior agreement. The hirer must ensure that location is accessible before hire.
Fragile and non-practical Items
Some more delicate, vintage items are props only and not for practical use. This is highlighted in the item description.